Dating at University



my beautiful Edinburgh


Unless you have been living under a rock, you will have seen Lauren of loulabellerose all over twitter following her boyfriend receiving some unconventional university advice from UCAS - and in the words of Lauren Rosenbaum, "It wasn't even Ladbible worthy though"


the advice read "Uni is all about new experiences and meeting new people,
so save the heartache now and start your university life as a free agent.
Trust me, you won't regret it."

The transition from school/college can be a stressful time without adding the pressure of a relationship to the mix, however the topic is often one discussed well in advance between the majority of couples. I was fortunate enough to end up in the same city as my boyfriend - not through planning but by both of us getting into our chosen places in Edinburgh. Despite this we did still have the "do we or don't we" conversation, and with us both not planning on seeing anybody new, we decided to keep our relationship going throughout university. 




As far as I am aware, university is for studying a chosen degree, something that will (hopefully) go on to help you get a job in a specific field, not for ending a happy relationship in order to gain 'new experiences' in the bedroom or on nights out. I am still able to go on nights out with my friends, and I am more than happy to hold their drink whilst they get with a guy or take them for a consultation mcdonalds when they don't pull. One thing a lot of people don't tell you is that university can be lonely and that if you do have a partner having them there, whether it is in person or via FaceTime, can make the world of a difference. 

after a lot of people thinking we wouldn't last 2 weeks,
we are now approaching 3 years together 

There will be times when you get jealous or feel like you aren't getting enough attention, and when your boyfriend studies Musical Theatre there will be (a lot) of times you feel threatened by the size 8 dancers he spends 5 days a week with. Unfortunately that jealously is natural in relationships, and it is just making sure that it doesn't escalate into an uncontrollable state, I also wrote a post here about helping manage your time at university and splitting your time between friends and boyfriends. Long distance can easily intensify any feelings of being ignored or jealousy but you and your partner will know yourselves if it is worth it (and a good majority of the time it is). 




At the end of the day, every relationship is different and every couple will know what works for them and what doesn't. Living in the same city as them doesn't even mean you will spend 90% of your time with them - I am a 10 minute walk from Benj and I haven't properly seen him (other than walking to work) in about a week. Being single at university isn't the end of the world, and neither is being in a relationship. Yes, I have missed out on nights out because I've rather gone to see Benj instead but personally to me its all worth it. 

Are you dating at university or are you strictly no relationships whilst you study? 

x    





36 comments

  1. I went to university with a boyfriend but he cheated on me so we quickly broke up, we became different people and so it didn't work for us. But I'm now dating someone from uni and were super happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about that but I'm glad you're happy now! Sadly growing apart and changing as a person it just a part of growing up x

      Delete
  2. I'm dating someone I met at uni and the Summer holidays make things a little hard as it's long distance but I definitely haven't missed out on my social life as we have a really good balance going on! I definitely think it's different for everyone and UCAS shouldn't be so nosy

    Paris x
    http://lifeinflorals.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year I was applying for uni they were constantly closing down track to do maintenance, maybe they should work on that rather than give out dating advice! x

      Delete
  3. Love this, I do not see why they would encourage somebody to end their relationship just because they are starting a new chapter in their life. They should worry about them studying not getting laid!

    chasingmydesire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I got to start a new chapter alongside my boyfriend! I'm such a stress head anyway I don't think I could cope with starting a new relationship and uni at the same time! x

      Delete
  4. Fab post m'dear with a lot to think about! I saw the post that girl shared about the UCAS leaflet and thought it was ridiculous myself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very weird thing to be told alongside your results! x

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this!! I didn't go to uni but a few of my friends had similar issues, some lasted, some didn't.. I totally agree though, Uni is for doing a course for your future, not for having bedroom experiences! Having a fun night out with your friends doesn't mean you have to be single.
    I saw the tweet Loulabellerose wrote as I already followed her Twitter account and Blog, but LOLL I cant believe how popular it became, brilliant!
    www.sopherina.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is insane how popular it has become! x

      Delete
  6. I'm two year older than my other half, and started dating when he just started his first year. Scary? yes, worked out? yes, 2 years next month! As well as distance and seeing each other every two weeks.

    It's all down to preference at the end of the day but truth be told, UCAS should still have no say it that either.

    I understand the whole being free but it's just as good having to share your adventures with someone. Thanks for sharing

    Jessica & James
    Foodandbaker.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on 2 years! If you feel trapped by your relationship anyway then maybe it isn't such a good relationship? x

      Delete
  7. I am just entering sixth form with my boyfriend of two years, I know it will be harder as we will be attending different schools for different years! and I am dreading uni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I attended a different school as my boyfriend for a year, we just met up once a week on a Sunday! I hope everything works out for you x

      Delete
  8. When I read this I just didn't understand how it was relevant of an uni to even mention it!
    This is such a good post and I'm glad you and your boyfriend are happy!
    Charlotte xx
    Theporcelaindollblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't have a boyfriend for the first few months of uni but I also lived at home because of health problems so I wouldn't have experienced nightlife and all that extra curricular jazz anyway. I don't really know whether a boyfriend helped or hindered me but uni was rough so I suppose I was glad to have him around although we went our separate ways in the end! Really enjoyed this post, very eloquently written

    Pandora xo
    http://curiouslilpandora.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know what I would do now at uni without my boyfriend or my mum helping keep me sane! x

      Delete
  10. A 'consultation McDonalds' Love it!
    Me & my girlfriend were very ambitious in the fact that we got together just 1 month before she left for university. We're still together now, 4 years on, so it worked out pretty well for us. It depends entirely on the people in the relationship as to whether you can make it work or not. As you say, you don't pay 9 grand a year to get smashed and have one night stands, you pay it in the hope of getting the foot in the door to a career you love. Great post!

    Marc x
    http://marcandrew.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be amazed as to what some nuggets can do for a drunk, upset girl! With any situation, it is entirely up to the couple on how they will react, and how their relationship will change. Thank you! X

      Delete
  11. It seems like you have your heard screwed on when it comes to relationships, good for you! I completely agree that you can maintain a healthy relationship throughout university - you can have lots of fun without needing to pull someone random haha! Really enjoyed this post, you and your BF are adorable together 😍

    Abbey ✨ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post and I totally agree- each relationship is different! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a good post! I can't believe that was sent out to students! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. "At the end of the day, every relationship is different and every couple will know what works for them and what doesn't. "

    So true. What very odd advice to give young people. While it is true that distance and school will prove a challenge to a relationship, some couples actually make it. I believe that when love is true it works out regardless.

    Not a university relationship but my now husband and i were in a long distance relationship and lived separate lives for two years before we got married this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your view on relationships! Good for you! That leaflet really is appalling though, you're absolutely right, although there are a lot of other things associated with uni life, the number one priority, especially in the eyes of ucas you'd think, is studying for a degree for a job in a field you'd like to go into. Genuinely surprised they'd be promoting anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a weird thing to be promoting! X

      Delete
  16. I must have been living under a rock because I hadn't seen this at all! I had a conversation with my boyfriend before I went (he took a gap year in my first year) and we just decided that we might as well see how it went. We've now nearly been together for four years, and survived my whole uni experience! I always think it's worth a shot.

    Megan | Lazy Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why break up and be miserable when you can stay together?! thanks for the read and comment X

      Delete
  17. Absolutely love this! I live at home instead of living on campus so my boyfriend lives 2 minutes down the road

    -kimberleyjessica.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Words of Quigg. Design by Fearne.