Running for Alzheimer's





Over one year ago, my gran started to become ill. It wasn't noticeable at first but as she become worse she lost the ability to look after herself until the stage where she wasn't safe to live on her own. After attempting to have her remain in her home with the use of daily carers, it was decided that the best option would be for her to go into a care home. Diagnosed with vascular dementia, my gran's cognitive function will be impaired more compared to other dementia sufferers, meaning she often struggles more when it comes to talking and verbal tasks.

Affecting more than 135,000 people in the UK alone, Alzheimer's Scotland is a charity that works to provide families with support - ranging from dementia cafes to day centres. I recently took part in The Great Woman's 10k on the 5th of June to help fundraise for Alzheimer's Scotland - raising an amazing £410 for the charity.



Whilst the run itself was gruelling (it was 25 degrees and I got a very sunburnt nose), at the end I felt over the moon when I remembered what all my money was going towards. Watching a loved one suffer from Alzheimer's can be upsetting, especially when they reach a stage where they aren't able to recognise friends, family or even old photos of themselves. By providing paid carers this, like any carer for any illness, gives the family time to themselves.

Caused by the deterioration of brain cells through a type of protein, Alzheimer's can affect anybody regardless of their health, however people who suffer from strokes can be more vulnerable to vascular dementia due to the lack of blood flow to their brain. Statistics from 2013 showed that there were an estimated 86,000 people suffering from dementia in Scotland alone, with 67% of the sufferers being female.



Whilst it is somewhat uncommon, there have been studies which has shown dementia to be hereditary in families, and with other family members having suffered from the illness by contributing to the charity through my sponsored run I, in an albeit small way, feel as though I am helping contribute to the every day living of those dealing with Alzheimer's.

It is because of this that I have decided to complete another run, this one in the bitter Scottish cold in November, around the Kelpies. It is only a 5k compared to my first run, but I'm sure the weather will provide some delightful obstacles. Let the training begin!

Have you ever taken part in a charity event?

29 comments

  1. Wow well done!! Running is not my speciality but you're doing so well. You should be so proud X
    http://www.lilydeal.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not a great runner especially but it is all for a good cause! x

      Delete
  2. It is so great that you did this and even wrote a post on it to raise more awareness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cause and great post! I'm glad you did this and wrote about it! :)

    S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is a big part of my life so it only felt right to do a post about it! x

      Delete
  4. You go girl! I actually haven't taken part on a charity event but I love to.
    Great post x

    Sofia | www.theglamchapter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing is there are so many different ways to get involved! whether it is a sponsored run or a bake sale! thank you so much x

      Delete
  5. Well done, that is absolutely amazing, I'm so proud of you! I got goosebumps reading this, I really want to get involved in charity events. I haven't run a day in my life haha but I'd love to, knowing that my money was contributing to a charity would be so motivating. Well done again, this post is really inspiring!
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so lovely that your raising awareness it's such a horrible disease that takes people far too soon! Xx

    Www.coleoftheball.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on this! It looks like you had lots of fun and I enjoyed reading this post. It really helped raise awareness X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! This is so amazing and you should be so proud of what you have achieved! I think it's incredible how you are raising money for this wonderful charity. My nan has dementia so I know just how important it is to raise money for this cause.
    http://midnightandlace.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! sorry to hear about your gran, lovely x

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh huge well done lovely!! You should be insanely proud of yourself! You've done something so amazing for an amazing charity! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was so moving to reading, its amazing that you're raising money that could help so many families! Good luck with your next run, well done!!xx

    https://shannicealice.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're amazing! All that money for a fabulous charity!
    I'm doing a small walk at the end of this month for Alzheimer's disease, I also did one for cancer last year too, it was lovely to feel like you're helping in such a small way
    Lovely post
    Charlotte xx
    http://theporcelaindollblog.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! congratulations to yourself for all your work too! x

      Delete
  12. Such an amazing cause! My Gran suffered with Alzheimers, and I now work whenever I can with people in that area. Running art workshops, and putting on shows in homes so that families can make memories with their loved ones instead of a visit to a care home being something upsetting. Congratulations on completing the 10k and raising so much, I'm sure your Gran would be really proud! Stephie xx

    www.acupofcreative.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am sorry to hear about your gran, but your work that you now do means so much to families x

      Delete
  13. My gran has Dementia so I can relate. Its great that you're raising awareness as often charities like these can get overlooked!
    A Blushing Beauty Blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your gran my love. Thank you! X

      Delete
  14. Such an amazing cause, well done for taking part and doing so well!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done! Such an amazing cause, you should be so proud!

    Darriyan xo
    www.darriyancateland.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Words of Quigg. Design by Fearne.